How To Sit Comfortably
If you feel tightness or pain after sitting for long periods, especially at work, then this will help you. Click on each arrow to reveal pictures and instructions.
1. These stretches are not designed to be medical advice. First consult a medical professional to ensure you don’t have an issue that requires medical attention.
2. If any of the postures cause pain, stop doing it and move on to the next one.
1. Follow the posture tips to be able to stand longer. If any posture, stretch or exercise causes discomfort, skip that stretch for now and reintroduce it later.
2. If you are having any foot, ankle, leg, knee or hip pains, then return to the Relief Stretches first.
3. Once the tension or pain is gone, use the daily warm-up exercises to stay feeling young and active.
1. Practice These Postures
HOW: SIT YOUR BUTTOCKS AS FAR BACK IN YOUR SEAT AS POSSIBLE, ALLOWING YOUR TAILBONE TO POINT OUTWARD. DO NOT SIT ON YOUR TAILBONE. YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOUR BELLY JETS OUTWARD SLIGHTLY. NOW RATCHET EACH SHOULDER UP AND BACKWARD. THEN RELAX YOU HEAD OVER YOUR SHOULDERS. PULL YOUR CHAIR UP TO YOUR DESK.
HOW: SET BUTTOCKS SO THAT TAILBONE POINTS OUTWARD. *DO NOT SIT ON TAILBONE. NOW RATCHET EACH SHOULDER UP AND BACKWARD. RELAX HEAD OVER SHOULDERS. TO LEAN FORWARD, MOVE ENTIRE TRUNK FORWARD TO PREVENT SHOULDERS AND HEAD FROM PULLING INTO SLOUCHED POSTURE.
2. Perform These Exercises
Takes 2 Minutes
HOW: CLASP ARMS BEHIND BACK TO EMPHASIZE GOOD POSTURE. LOOK UP AND SQUEEZE KNEES.
HOW: HANDS ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD. SQUEEZE SHOULDER BLADES LIGHTLY TOGETHER. BEND KNEES TO SIT BACK INTO A SQUAT POSITION. PRESS LIGHTLY THROUGH THE HEELS WITHOUT STANDING UP. HOLD THIS SEATED POSITION.
HOW: WITHOUT USING YOUR HANDS, PUSH WITH YOUR HEELS TO STAND STRAIGHT UP FROM A SITTING POSITION.
HOW: START WITH ARMS RELAXED AT YOUR SIDE. NOW REACH BOTH ARMS SIDEWAYS UPWARD AND OVERHEAD AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE, ALLOWING HEELS TO RAISE OFF THE GROUND. FOCUS ON STRETCHING ENTIRE SPINE.